The Best of Taste by the Saclant-Nato Cookbook Committee - 1962 Edition, 3rd Printing
Good Food Brings Minds and Hearts Together...
Something unique and exciting hit the kitchen bookshelves in 1956 when this cookbook, The Best of Taste was first published in 1956. It wasn't written by a well-known chef, a famous restauranteur or even a beloved food brand, but instead by a group of women who were fluent in the art of cooking and entertaining.
Compiled by the wives of NATO officers in Annapolis MD who were no strangers themselves to exotic travel, multi-faceted dinner parties, and gracious hospitality, this cookbook contains international recipes from the 15 countries that were all members of NATO during the 1950s/1960s decades. Originally, this cookbook was intended as a fundraiser for the NATO scholarship program but it also served a more harmonious purpose too.... to promote international peace, understanding, and camaraderie through food.
Beautifully illustrated throughout by an artist only referred to as Mrs. John Cody in the acknowledgment section, it was published at a time in mid-century America when foreign relations were the news topics of the day and the jet-set age was just about to bloom, ushering in a whole new tribe of curious cooks in the kitchen.
Paired with suggested menus, information on international wine and two handfuls of favorite recipes from heads of state including President Eisenhower, this cookbook is a really fun and unique romp around the world via the dining table. 244 pages of recipes from the following countries are included: Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- This edition is the third printing, published in December 1962
- 244 pages including index
- Illustrated throughout with dynamic and dramatic artwork
- Interesting recipes include Mackerel Filets with Gooseberry Sauce (Denmark), Curried Pork (Norway), Mushrooms on Toast (France), Artichokes with Olive Oil (Turkey), Spinach Ramekins (from the United Kingdon), National Soup (Luxumbourg) Witch House Casserole (Canada), Fish Fry with Hush Puppies (the United States), Apple Dumplings (Canada), Bacon Pancakes (Denmark), Bouillion with Egg Dumplings (Germany), Egg and Lemon Soup (Greece), Angels on Horseback (United Kingdom), Stuffed Dumplings in Broth (Italy) and Hasty Hats (United States)
- All recipes come with their original regional names as well as their American translation
In lovely vintage condition. The matte paper dust jacket is intact but bears some chippy spots along the top and bottom edge as well as tanning and a few spots. The interior of this book is in gorgeous shape with no spots, stains or markings. The illustrated cover boards are bright and clean. the spine is tight and all pages are intact.
Measures 9.5" inches (length) x 6.25" inches (width) x .75" inches (thickness) and 1.5 lbs.