Betty Crocker's New Good and Easy Cook Book - 1962 First Edition Second Printing
START THE DAY WITH A SONG AND A GOOD BREAKFAST AND NOTHING WILL GO WRONG - OR SHOULD WE SAY, MORE THINGS WILL GO RIGHT... (FROM THE BREAKFAST CHAPTER)
Containing over 1200 recipes broken down into Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Snacks (aka The Fourth Meal) Betty Crocker fashioned this cookbook for the busy midcentury family who was in need of quick nutritious meals. Recipes made entirely from scratch mingle here alongside meals that contain shortcuts using convenience foods for time-saving prep. Many of the recipes conatined here are simple and easy to make, offering a chance for young cooks or new cooks to grow their skills in the kitchen and experiment with different types of baking and techniques.
Betty never let anybody down in the creativity department. Here suggested menus for all sorts of dining experiences help spark meal planning. Whimsical illustrations and colorful photographs add cheery midcentury charm and the extensive baking chapters add that nostalgic Betty Crocker touch that holds so many memories for family members who grew up enjoying home-baked desserts, sit-down family dinners, and time spent in the kitchen with mom and grandma.
Our favorite part of this cookbook is the final chapter - the Fourth Meal - which offers an array of recipes designed around sociable activities where a little treat often sweetens the moment. A neighbor stops by to say hello, your best gal pal comes over for coffee and a freshly made slice of cake, a group of kids come home to study after school, a holiday drop-in calls for a chance to pull out the punch bowl... these are the kind of activities that call for the fourth meal. Hospitable offerings that prompt some light refreshments and a lot of joy.
It's classic midcentury Betty inside and out.
- First edition published in 1962, second printing
- 192 pages including detailed index
- Illustrated with color photographs and whimsical illustrations throughout
- Wide format, spiral-bound style
- Includes a bevy of charts on herb pairings, meat carving techniques, temperature and cooking times, etc.
- Interesting recipes include midcentury marvels like Traffic Light Cookies, Lollipopcorn Balls, Singed Angel Wings, Subgum, Topsy-Turvey Beef Pie are included alongside many beloved family recipes that have been passed down for generations like Fresh Berry Pie, Snickerdoodles, Dinner Biscuits, Favorite Meatloaf and a bevy of canapes and dips.
Fully intact with easy-to-turn pages and a tight spiral bind, this book is in great vintage shape. TClean and bright throughout, there are no cooking spots or stains and all the pages turn easily in the spiral binding
Measures 8.5" inches (width) x 10.25" inches (length) x .75" inches (depth)