Betty Crocker's Pie and Pastry Cookbook- 1968 First Edition, First Printing
According to a fine old American tradition, the mark of a good cook is her ability to turn out a delicious pie... (from the introduction)
No one has helped more mainstream home cooks and bakers throughout the 20th century than Betty Crocker! A go-to authority on kitchen crowd pleasers for ten decades, Betty has been the reliable recipe provider for millions of meals served everyday across the country. It is with that love and enthusiasm that we are very excited to offer Betty's first edition Pie and Pastry Cookbook published in 1968. Stuffed to the gills with every pie and pastry recipe you can imagine, this book in great detail, describes the myriad of ways you can combine ingredients to create a plethora of pies from sweet to savory, dinner to dessert, healthy to hand-held. All the classics are included here along with mid-century inventions, regional favorites and creative collaborations with home cooks around the country.
Each step of the pie-making process from crust to final flourishes are discussed in making this book helpful for beginning bakers. 160 pages of fillings, flavor pairings and presentation suggestions also make this book equally interesting and inspiring for the experienced baker too, meaning there is something for everyone here no matter what your skill level or flavor preference. Can there ever be too much pie or too much discussion of pie? We say no! Hope you think so too!
- 1968 First edition, first printing
- Spiral bound
- Illustrated throughout with photographs and a bevy of colorful drawings by Wilson McLean
- One really fun chapter include favorites pies from the around the country, discussed via region
- Interesting recipes include Della Robbia Pie, Cream Puff Bowl, Thousand Leaves Torte, Scrambled Eggs in a Puffy Bowl, Triple Cheese Appetizer Wheel, Partridge in a Pear Tree Pie, Upside-Down Apple Pecan Pie, Summer Jewel Pie, Spanish Pizza Dough Pie, Sombrero Pie, Plantation Pie - so many pies!
- A bevy of charts, graphs and step by step instructions help educate and ensure a delicious baking adventure
In good vintage condition, this cookbooks is clean and bright with the exception of a few random cooking stains and some minor wrinkling of a few pages. The first page near the bottom has become partially separated from the spiral binding (please see photos).
Measures 8.75" inches (width) x 10" inches (length) x .5" inches (thickness)
Learn more about the surprising history of Betty Crocker over on the blog here.